Friday, January 16, 2009

How I made a PRS Hollowbody Electric Guitar CAKE

I would like to document the process of how I made this electric guitar cake:
Photobucket
A PRS Hollowbody Spruce Vintage Natural electric guitar cake for my friend John's birthday. I tried to take a lot of pictures, but I did forget a few steps.


Step 1.
Buy everything.
Step 2.
Make the cake.
The square cake
Step 3.
Find a photo that you like of the guitar, then print it out in the size you want by printing it on 4 different peices of paper and then taping it together like this template for the guitar I made.
the template

Step 4.
Lay the template over the cooled cake and cut it out.
about to cut the cake

Step 5.
Using a sharp, 4 inch smooth knife, I cut up and down in small cuts.
i cut the cake

Step 6.
Add what they call a crumb layer of butter cream icing. Make this icing just slightly thinner than regular and spread it over the entire cake.
I frosted the cake

Step 7.
I took fondant and rolled it into the shapes needed to add some more shape to the guitar top to make it more realistic. If you look at the actual guitar, it is not flat, but has depth to the front/top of it, a smooth beautiful shape. So I used fondant as well as cake and buttercream to give it that shape and smooth it out.
cake 2

Step 8.
Roll out the light yellow colored fondant until 1/4 inch thick so it will thoroughly fit over the entire cake. Pick up the fondant by placing over your rolling pin and putting it on the iced cake. Gently smooth out the cake using a fondant smoother from Wilton. Cut away all excess fondant.
cake
Step 9.
Next I cut out the holes in the body with a small knife cutting up and down in tiny strokes. I only cut through the fondant. I then cut out two pieces of black fondant to fit perfectly into the holes.
PRS Hollowbody Spruce Guitar Cake

Step 10.
I colored some brown fondant and rolled it to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out the right size for the neck. I then took some of the brown coloring and painted on a wood grain effect.
PRS Hollowbody Spruce Guitar Cake
neck detail of guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Email us now: mainlinedoulas@gmail.com Serving the entire Philadelphia area and the Main Line. 1855-MY-DOULA (1855-693-6852)